Arianne
Weekly Writing Topic: Why We Learn Each week I will post one writing topic or question. Anyone who wants may write a response. I will give some corrections or advice on your writing. Hopefully this will also generate discussion among learners. Whatever your language level, you are welcome to post. This week's topic: Why We Learn (Answer one or all of the questions) Why are you learning a language? Should languages be taught in schools? Should English be mandatory (required) for all students, or should students be able to choose which languages they learn? Should the world have one (official) international language? If so, what should it be - English, Esperanto, or another language?
I am learning a language to complete my personal goal of knowing a language other than English...and I am passionate about Japanese! For me, it is also about disciplining myself to achieve something I set my mind to. It is about constantly learning, growing, and living life to the fullest.
Q1 Why are you learning a language? I am learning English mainly because I want to go abroad for further study and I have to pass IELTS to be qualified. Another reason is that I think learning a foreign language is a good way of getting close to new cultures. For example, I have learned a lot about various interesting festivals, which broadens my view, during my language study. As a result, what I have learned is not only the foreign language but also foreigners’ lifestyles. Q2.Should languages be taught in schools? I feel that languages should be taught in schools. It’s widely believed that people had better learn foreign languages when they are young and school is an ideal place because there are qualified teachers and we can ask them for help if we have difficulties. Besides, your classmates can be treated as your language partners so that you can practice oral English with each other very conveniently. On the other hand, I feel that the best way to learn a language is to communicate with each other by speaking this language in our daily life. Because we can learn limited knowledge at school but we can continuously learn during our lifetime. For example, we can make friends with foreigners and chat with each other. It can be a good way to learn a language.
Q3.Should English be mandatory (required) for all students, or should students be able to choose which languages they learn? I feel that all students should learn English because English is widely used as official languages. If you don’t understand English, you will have problems both in your work and daily life. For example, there are many imported products with English labels. If you can understand, it’s very convenient for you to enjoy excellent imported goods in china. Similarly, many people work in foreign firms and people from different countries communicate with each other by using English. So, it’s necessary for students to learn English because it benefits their career advancement in the future. Q4.Should the world have one (official) international language? If so, what should it be - English, Esperanto, or another language? I feel that the world should have an official language. It’s mainly because we can communicate with each other easily and there will be less misunderstands between different countries. For example, some interpreters cannot tell the under meanings of some words and they cannot transfer the accurate information, which may cause barriers between foreigners. In contract, if we all use the same language, our talk will be more efficiently.
I learning languages to learn. It shouldn't be mandatory for all students. Sounds good to world have one international language, and It can be Turkish.