张家小贝
My Essay 84 Do you agree or disagree with the statement? Students would receive a better education if they were required to attend classes for 11 months a year?
2

More and more of us begin to think that students of today are far less diligent then they were a few decades ago, that more students tend to rather spend time partying with friends late at night than to study. Some then proposed that it would be helpful if we extend the months required in which one student has to attend classes in a year to force them pay more attention to their studies. For me, however, this is totally ridiculous and would not likely to take effects.

Extended hours for studying do not mean the enhanced efficiency in the first place. Students are more likely to get exhausted out than to have better efficiency. Instead of spending more hours, making good schedules and learning how to manage time are in fact more helpful. I have a friend who used to be very nervous before test days because he often failed to pass them. Then after a few times of failure he began to stay up late to cram for his weak subjects. At first it did seem quite effective in helping enhance scores, while then he became tired and efficiency began to descend. Even worse still he did not get rid of his bad habit of getting nervous before exams, so finally his efforts did not entirely pay off. On the hand, another of my friends started to evaluate his study plans when he realized the problems, and then adjusted them to make everything work the best for him to study. This finally proved to be much more important than merely studying longer. An eleven months’ requirement is intent to make students achieve better academic performance by spending more time in school. This is not likely to work in the same way because it fails to realize that time does not always mean efficiency.

Even if it does work to help facilitate school performance, this proposal is also not beneficial for students in other ways. A student’s life should not only focus on academy, but also on the development of personal interests and other abilities. Vacations and holidays are a good opportunity for students to choose to do things to enrich their lives and thus should not be replaced by school years. For me, it is a joy to travel on vacations. Through traveling not only I get great experience and relaxation, but also great exposure to nature. Some of my friends also like to join interesting clubs on vacations. One of them joined a ping-pong club last year and got a very good opportunity to practice playing ping-pong with a bunch of friends in a local club. For those students who want to improve themselves academically, vacations always provide good opportunities to learn more ‘

stuff. A classmate of mine, for example, did plenty of reading about history in the last summer holiday. These are good examples that students are able to use vacations to do meaningful things to enrich their lives, which further proves that the proposal is unlikely to benefit students.

From the examples of my two friends who wanted to improve academy performance, I realize that the best way to have better grades is by trying to enhance efficiency but not merely studying for more time. This is ignored in the proposal and so it would not likely to work but will very likely reduce great opportunities for students who want to improve themselves in different ways.

1

More and more Most of us begin to think that nowadays, students of today are far less diligent then they were those of a few decades ago. Many would that more students tend to rather spend their time partying with friends late at into the night than to study. Some [不可用, 可以指学生, 所以意思不清] then It had been proposed that in order to force the change of bad habits, the school year should be extended. it would be helpful if we extend the months required in which one student has to attend classes in a year to force them pay more attention to their studies. For me, however, This is totally ridiculous and would not have any intended beneficial effect likely to take effects.

People are not machines!  Extending the school term  hours for studying does not mean the enhanced efficiency in the first place more meaning. Students are more likely to get exhausted out than to have better efficiency. 理由太弱因為你是个学生, 因此賣花讚花香!  How about extending officially the working hours for the adults?  You think more work will be produced?  A revolution will take place instead!

Instead of spending more hours, making good schedules and learning how to manage time are in fact more helpful. I have a friend who used to be very nervous before test days because he often failed to pass them. Then after a few times of failure he began to stay up late to cram for his weak subjects. At first it did seem quite effective in helping enhance scores, while then he became tired and efficiency began to descend. Even worse still he did not get rid of his bad habit of getting nervous before exams, so finally his efforts did not entirely pay off. On the hand, another of my friends started to evaluate his study plans when he realized the problems, and then adjusted them to make everything work the best for him to study. This finally proved to be much more important than merely studying longer. An eleven months’ requirement is intent to make students achieve better academic performance by spending more time in school. This is not likely to work in the same way because it fails to realize that time does not always mean efficiency. 太囉嗦, 这是共同经厉, 有誰不知.  What is needed is to make students learn how to better manage their time for study and play.  Just don't burn midnight oil just before exams. 

Remember the adage, "All work no play, makes Jack a very dull boy!"  Life is not always about working or studying.  We are human beings with a soul.  We need the time to relax and just have some plain old fun.  Otherwise, what is life about?  Show me a person that works all the time and I can show you what a fuddy-duddy he is!  Alas, a lonely creature with no friends.

Thus those who propose extending the school term are so senile that they had forgotten what is mean to be young and to live.  Academic vampires trying to be Miss Goody-Two-Shoes!