Maria
Chajf - From the war / Чайф - С войны. Word-to-word translation It is so dark in your front porch A pungent smell habitually strikes the nose Your home was right under the roof It is more closer to stars in it You walked slowly Returning from the war With a sweet sense of victory, With a bitter feeling of guilt. Here's your house But there is a new lock in the door All awaited you for a long time here But you could not go back. And the last night went In this house in tears. And you did not come again, And the fear crept into your house. This fear looked in her eyes through The reflection in the dark glass. Fear told her that it would be better For her and for you. And it pointed her at the door With a new lock. It put the key in her hand, and did so, That you could not go back. And you went out into the yard, And you sat near the window, Like an abandoned dog. And now slightly recovered, But just a little freezed (?). And you understood That if you hurried You might to be in time But what can you do with that now - You got a guitar and started to sing. And the neighbours make a noise - They can not understand, When you want to sing. The neighbours do not like your songs, They are accustomed to endure. They are used to enter Into this dark front porch every day . And if there is a prohibitory sign, They know - there is a detour somewhere near. And you yelled a cheerful song With a sad ending. And some men [met half-way] (?) the noise And you pulled the match - You will be a herald. Empty cans, They were filled with a wine. And now you're a little warmed up - Now to struggle with sleep. And then you told them everything, And about how you were in the war. And one of them shouted: "Liar, musician!", And you cuddled up to the wall. And you struck the first You were taught so by The father from your early age. And you looked at the window once again. At the same time she turned off the light. It is so dark in your front porch A pungent smell habitually strikes the nose Your home was right under the roof It is more closer to stars in it You walked slowly Returning from the war With a sweet sense of victory, With a bitter feeling of guilt. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gaag20x0jv8
thank you! as usually! i see, that i made not many mistakes. i'm glad)
Great to see you back on italki -- it's been a while! I hope you continue to work on your English, you do an excellent job.

Chajf - From the war / Чайф - С войны. Word-to-word translation

It is so dark on your front porch
A pungent smell habitually strikes the nose
Your home was right under the roof
It is more closer to stars in it <em>("in it" doesn't sound right but I don't know what the author is trying to convey)</em>

You walked slowly
Returning from the war
With a sweet sense of victory,
With a bitter feeling of guilt.

Here's your house
But there is a new lock in the door
All awaited you for a long time here
But you could not go back.

And the last night went <em>(perhaps "And the last night was spent" -- it fits better with the next line)</em>
In this house in tears.
And you did not come again,
And the fear crept into your house.

This fear looked in her eyes through
Through the reflection in the dark glass.
Fear told her that it would be better
For her and for you.

And it pointed her at the door
With a new lock.
It put the key in her hand, and did so,
That you could not go back.

And you went out into the yard,
And you sat near the window,
Like an abandoned dog.
And now slightly recovered,
But just a little freezed (?) frozen.

And you understood
That if you hurried
You might to be in time
But what can you do with that now -
You got a guitar and started to sing.

And the neighbours make a noise -
They can not understand,
When you want to sing.
The neighbours do not like your songs,
But they are accustomed to enduring.

They are used to entering 
Into this dark front porch every day .
And if there is a prohibitory sign,
They know - there is a detour somewhere near.

And you yelled a cheerful song
With a sad ending.
And some men [met half-way] (?) the noise <em>(again, I'm not sure what the author is trying to convey; perhaps something like "And some men met the noise half-way")</em>
And you pulled the match -
You will be a herald.

Empty cans,
They were filled with a wine.
And now you're a little warmed up -
Now to you struggle with sleep.

And then you told them everything,
And about how you were in the war.
And one of them shouted:
"Liar, musician!",
And you cuddled up to the wall.

And you struck the first
You were taught so by
The father from your early age.
And you looked at the window once again.
At the same time she turned off the light.

It is so dark on your front porch
Your home was right under the roof
It is more closer to stars in it 

You walked slowly
Returning from the war
With a sweet sense of victory,
With a bitter feeling of guilt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gaag20x0jv8