Carina
Australia male or meal - is there any difference Let me tell you about a really funny experience I had about 12 years ago in Wagga Wagga,Australia. I had just arrived at the university where I had registered for a 4 week English language course. The lady who picked me up from the airport showed me the campus and when we got to the canteen, she commented on the really good males (at least that's what I understood). My eyes got bigger and bigger and I questioned what she had just said with "really good males, huh?" with some element of surprise. Actually, considering she was in her late fifties and the "males" in the canteen could have been her sons, I was more than just a little surprised, until I finally learnt a few minutes later about the peculiarities of the Australian accent... Of couse she didn't mean "males" but "meals"
Yes! Haha, also, when they say "Where are you going today?", it'd sound like "Where are you going today?" :D
Haha, wow, this is really interesting and amusing. There is definitely a difference between the two sounds, but when I think about it, it is really difficult to find a comparison with any German sounds. The closest I can think of is that "males" is more like "meils" and "meals" is more like "miels".
Interesting! I really must travel to Wagga-Wagga and listen to how they speak over there!
This is really funny Carina;) hehe I get you totally, still I enjoy listening to Australians so much,, I just love how they pronounce words differently... G'day Mate (,")