我费了好长时间才弄清楚他是从哪里来的。
It took me a long time to learn where he came from.
小王子向我提出了很多问题,可是,对我提出的问题,他好像压根没有听见似的。
The little prince, who asked me so many questions, never seemed to hear the ones I asked him.
他无意中吐露的一些话逐渐使我搞清了他的来历。
It wasfrom words dropped by chance that, little by little, everything was revealed to me.
例如,当他第一次瞅见我的飞机时(我就不画出我的飞机了,因为这种图画对我来说太复杂),他问我道: “这是个啥玩艺?”
The first time he saw my airplane, for instance (I shall not draw my airplane; that would be much too complicated for me), he asked me: "What is that object?"
这不是玩艺儿。它能飞。
That is not an object. It flies.
这是飞机。是我的飞机。
It is an airplane. It is my airplane.
我当时很骄傲地告诉他我能飞。
And I was proud to have him learn that I could fly.
于是他惊奇地说道:“怎么?你是从天上掉下来的?”
He cried out, then:"What! You dropped down from the sky?"
“是的”。我谦逊地答道。
"Yes," I answered, modestly.
啊!这真滑稽。
Oh! That is funny!
此时小王子发出一阵清脆的笑声。这使我很不高兴。
And the little prince broke into a lovely peal of laughter, which irritated me very much.
我要求别人严肃地对待我的不幸。
I like my misfortunes to be taken seriously.
然后,他又说道:“那么,你也是从天上来的了!你是哪个星球上的?”
Then he added: "So you, too, come from the sky! Which is your planet?"
这个时候,对于他是从哪里来的这个秘密我隐约发现到了一点线索;
At that moment I caught a gleam of light in the impenetrable mystery of his presence;
于是,我就突然问道:“你是从另一个星球上来的吗?”
and I demanded, abruptly: "Do you come from another planet?"
可是他不回答我的问题。
But he did not reply.
他一面看着我的飞机,一面微微地点点头,接着说道:
He tossed his head gently, without taking his eyes from my plane:
可不是么,乘坐这玩艺儿,你不可能是从很远的地方来的。
It is true that on that you can’t have come from very far away.